Nothing beats a big bowl of fresh pasta. There’s a reason we call it ‘comfort food’ and it’s said that it doesn’t necessarily come from the flavor itself, but a nostalgic memory of the person who first made it for you!
This month we teamed up with Culinaire Magazine to bring you the recipe to one of our Classic Pasta Dishes – The Lemon Conchigliette. This dish has featured on the menu for years, with barely a change to the recipe because as they say, ‘If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!’. This month’s readers have been granted access to the ingredients Cilantro chefs use to create this dish. You too now can embrace the art of pasta and make this flavorful dish it in the comfort of your own home! See below for the full recipe.
Serves 4 people
Conchigliette Pasta Shells (250g dried)
1/2 cup Heavy Cream (35%)
1/3 cup Red Onion Chopped
1 tsp Garlic Chopped
1 Poblano Pepper cut into thin strips (Julienne style)
50 ml Dry White Cooking Wine
2 tbsp Chevre (soft goat cheese)
2 tbsp Chopped Fresh Basil
8 pc Prawns
8 pc Scallops
Salt and Pepper to Taste
½ cup Fresh Grated Parmesan
- Boil the pasta until its cooked al dente, cool and set aside.
- In a large frying pan sauté onions, peppers and garlic on medium to high heat for 3-5 minutes. Add the prawns and scallops and continue to fry for an additional 3 minutes.
- Deglaze with the white wine and reduce the wine by half.
- Add the cream and goat cheese, let simmer on low to medium heat for 5-8 minutes then add pasta shells and fresh chopped basil.
- Toss and heat just until the pasta is hot. Top with parmesan and serve.
So you might be asking yourself ‘Where is the Lemon’? With this particular in house made pasta shell, we infuse the mix with fresh lemon juice. As an alternative (as this would not be available to buy) we would recommend adding 1 full lemon zest to the dish as a replacement to get the lemon flavor, avoid using lemon juice as the sauce may curdle!
At Cilantro we love the emotional connections we make with our food. Whether it’s knowing the flavors and ingredients are inspired by the land we live on, or the memories it conjures up at the first sight and smell. Pasta is a popular go-to on our menu, and we proudly make all of ours in house using traditional techniques. Every Wednesday is Chef’s Feature Pasta Night, where you can nosh on fresh pasta that changes weekly. Learn about this special and our other weekly features.